Monday, May 10, 2010

Defending the Euro

I just sent this as an email FoxBusiness.com. I thought it would make a good post as well.


Wouldn't it have been better in terms of the value of the Euro as a currency if they had let Greece default (or restructure)? A country's currency is only as valuable as the world perceives it to be. A lot of that has to do with supply control.

I would be more impressed if the Euro-zone had told Greece "No, you can't have more Euro's, find another way." Even had Greece been forced to restructure its debt, that would demonstrate a failed business model, not a failed currency. In fact, the currency was too valuable to just give away.

I would think that would have increased the value of the Euro in the longer term. They haven't propped up the currency. They're trying to prop up a nanny state. I assume because they just don't want to believe it doesn't work.

No comments: